Sunday, May 26, 2013

Impromptu Picnic!

Hubby decided today (Saturday afternoon) that he wants to throw a Memorial Day cook-out on Monday afternoon. In addition he wants to invite a bunch of doctors, nurses, and PAs from the hospital. After suggesting this he says to me, "Can we do this? I know we are on a budget, so its okay if we can't swing it." As some of you can imagine there was a little sadness at the end of that. I sat there and thought for a moment and said, sure we can do it! I thought about some of my saved up meats (2 packages of brats, package of hot dogs) and the leftover frozen burger patties that his parents just bestowed on us as part of their vacation leftovers. In addition to all this I have buns in the freezer ready to be thawed, chili, and assorted veggies. 

I can easily make some baked goods, snacks, appetizers, and dinner. The only  caveats would be that I need to clean, get out my patriotic decorations (which is past due), and start cooking. We have established a menu, a rough invite list, and have an established time. 

I am so happy and thrilled that we have prepared enough of our stockpile to be able to throw this little cook-out. Also, Brian and I will be able to stick to our original agreement to not grocery shop for two months. We will go grocery shopping in the beginning of July just in time for another cook-out and hopefully for our nephew to come visit. 

WOO HOO!!

1 comment: